Peaches and Cream Shortcakes
Makes 12 Shortcakes
2 medium-large peaches, diced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 cup whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
½ cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 large egg
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
¼ cup skim milk
1 cup whipping cream, whipped until soft peaks form
2 medium peaches, halved, stones removed
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the diced peaches and lemon juice in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk butter, egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and milk (the mixture will be lumpy). Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in peaches.
5. Pour batter onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread it around with an offset spatula to cover the entire sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is golden and the edges begin to slightly brown. Slide the cake onto a wire rack and cool until almost room temperature. Cut off the outer edges (about ½ an inch) and then cut into 12 even-sized rectangles.
6. Bring a wide saucepan half full of water to a simmer and add vanilla. Gently place peach halves in the water and cook for 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel. Cool until the peaches are safe to handle, pull off the skin, and slice.
7. To assemble: top half of the squares with dollops of whipped cream and peach slices, and place the other half of the squares on top to sandwich. Top with more whipped cream, if desired.